Lucerne is a famous city in Switzerland, it is the capital of the canton of Lucerne. Lucerne is the gateway to central Switzerland, it is located at the end of the Lake Lucerne, within sight of Mount Pilatus and Rigi in the Swiss Alps, at 436 meters above the sea level. Lucerne is traditionally considered first and foremost as a tourist destination. Lucerne is also the cultural center of the region and t he fourth largest Swiss agglomeration. In the middle age, Lucerne was a city of bridges, it was the only city in Europe to boast four bridges. Lucerne is also a city of palaces, churches and squares.
Area 24.15 km2 (9.32 sq mi)
47°03’ north latitude, 8°18’ east longitude
Lucerne card is very useful for tourists, tourists who handle the card will take many advantages. Tourists can purchase at tourist information office, VBL/SBB ticket counter which located at the railway station. More advantages as below:
Unlimited travel on public transportation in the city of Lucerne and vicinity, including zones 10/20 (excluding SGV boat rides):
- VBL bus lines (excluding Gisikon, Perlen, Inwil)
- SBB till Buchrain, Meggen, Littau, Rothenburg Dorf and Waldibrücke
- Zentralbahn till Hergiswil
- PostAuto Schweiz AG till Adligenswil, Obernau and Emmenbrücke Strassenkreuz
- Auto AG Rothenburg till Rothenburg
- Auto Rottal AG till Emmenbrücke Strassenkreuz
50% discount on admission to the following museums:
- Alpineum 3D-Alpen Panorama, Lucerne
- Bourbaki Panorama Lucerne
- Gletschergarten mit Spiegellabyrinth, Lucerne
- Historisches Museum, Lucerne
- Kunstmuseum Lucerne
- Militärmuseum, Kriens
- Museum im Bellpark, Kriens
- Natur-Museum, Lucerne
- Richard-Wagner-Museum, Lucerne
- Verkehrshaus der Schweiz mit Planetarium, Hans Erni Museum, Lucerne
20% discount on green fees (excluding Sat/Sun) of golf courses:
- Golfpark Holzhäusern
- Gotthard Realp
- Küssnacht am Rigi
Discounts on the following offers:
- 1 free admission to the casino in the Grand Casino Luzern
- 1 free ride on the summer toboggan-run at Fräkigaudi (May-October)
- 50% discount on city tour, Tourist Information, Zentralstrasse 5, Lucerne
- up to 30% discount at Europcar, Lakefront Center Luzern, Inseliquai 12a, 6005 Lucerne.
For bookings: Contract-Id 47317603
- 10% discount on purchases in Dragon Shop on the top of Mt Pilatus
- City voucher for CHF 10.- redeemable for purchases as of CHF 100.-, as long as the LucerneCard is valid (See voucher brochure for a list of partner shops) Pick up at: Globus Luzern, Pilatusstrasse 4, 6002 Luzern, Customer Service, 1st Basement.
- 10% on all Tickets of Lucerne Theatre (excl. special performances)
In the Middle ages, Lucerne was a fishing village referred to as a “little wooden stork’s nest”. Lucerne remained a small medieval town until the end of the 18th century, but with the beginning of tourism around 1830, it began to change and grow. Now tourism is a very important industry in Lucerne.
The Water Tower and the Chapel Bridge are landmarks of Lucerne. They were both built at 1300. Chapel bridge is one of the oldest wooden bridges in Europe, faithfully restored to its original design after a serious fire. A major part of the bridge, including the paintings, was almost completely destroyed by fire on August 18, 1993. The reconstructed bridge was reopened on April 14, 1994. In the meantime, many of the paintings have been replaced or recopied. The Water Tower measures 34.5 meters, its circumference is 38 meters. The middle floor of the Water Tower is home to the headquarters of the Lucerne Artillery Association.
Swiss Museum of Transport in Lucerne is one of the most diverse museums in Europe for transport and communication.
The Lion Monument is one of the world’s most famous monuments. Since the era of the English Queen Victoria, the Lion Monument has been a special attraction point. The monument was initially from Karl Pftffer von Altishofen. It was carved out of natural rock in memory of the heroic deaths of the Swiss mercenaries at the Tuileries in 1792. Mark Twain described the Lion of Lucerne as the saddest and most moving piece of rock in the world.
The cultural and convention center Lucerne also named the KKL Luzern. The concert hall is filled with 1800 seats, it is one of the finest concert halls in the world. The art museum which is the fourth largest museum in Switzerland is under its imposing roof.
Jesuit church is the first large sacral Baroque church in Switzerland, was redecorated in the mid-18th century.
Lucerne festival is held in August and September every year, it is the best-known event in Switzerland, and also is one of the leading international organisers of classical and contemporary music festival. There are more than 30 symphony concerts and 60 other events.
World Band festival is held at the culture and convention center Lucerne in September. The finest orchestras, formations, bands, soloists and conductors from the world meet here, it lasted nine days.
Switzerland’s typical products, such as exclusive watches and beautiful jewelry, attractive fashions, Swiss chocolate------ Tourists can easily find everything in Lucerne. In Switzerland there is a 7.6% value-added tax (VAT) on goods, which is included in the sales price.
Map of Lucerne